CHAPS Cochrane Historical Museum

Cochrane Historical & Archival Preservation Society

Beautiful Scenery

Visitors to the CHAPS Museum in Cochrane, Alberta are within an hour’s drive of Banff National Park and the mountain playgrounds west of Calgary that offer year round outdoor activities in a beautiful setting.

Located within The Cochrane Ranche

The Dominion Government incorporated a company in 1881 and it was known as the Cochrane Ranche Company.  (excerpt from Big Hill Country page 155). 

The Museum Building's History

Constructed in 1909 by the Davies family using bricks from the Collin’s Brick Yard. Built to be used as a hospital/nursing home and private residence. Moved to its current site in 2014.

Experience the history of
Canada's West

Through the eyes of its settlers, ranchers and farmers; 

the service and supply businesses, the educators and more.

Oil and Gas Resources in Big Hill Country

In 1914 there were ten oil companies drilling in the Jumping Pound area. Natural gas had been leaking out of fissures in the ground in the district since the earliest times but had attracted little attention until 1914.

Read More »

Wild cattle created bedlam in early days

Cattle were wild in the early days, as they had just come off the range, where there were very few people, only cowboys on horseback. I remember a Mr. McLennon, who bought the Merino Ranch from the Countess Bubna, brought in a herd to the stockyards; and his son, who was a cowboy and stockman, was crushed to death by a herd of steers in the stockyard pens. McLennon sold out soon after and moved away. 

Read More »

Ralph and Carol Maier Family

When Ralph was seven, the family moved to Cochrane, to the farm Sec 3 Twp 28 Range 4 W5M. The children walked to the Weedon School, located at the corner of NE Sec 22 Twp 27 Range 4W5M for September, it was closed due to a lack of students. They then were picked up by Mr. Wesley Wilson and went to Cochrane Lakes School until Christmas.

Read More »
%d bloggers like this: