In 1990, the Canadian Rodeo Historical Association (C.R.H.A.) and the Stockmen’s Memorial Foundation organized a fundraising cattle drive for the Western Heritage Centre to be built in Cochrane. The event is remembered in a video and book.
In 2020, the original VHS tape and a DVD copy was donated to the Cochrane Historical & Archival Preservation Society. (C.H.A.P.S) CHAPS is the umbrella organization that runs the Cochrane Historical Museum.
CHAPS goal is to educate the public about the town and area’s rich history.
Consequently, we thought the video would be a wonderful, very popular addition to our YouTube site. You can see the video by clicking below or by visiting our YouTube channel.
Please like and subscribe to our channel to see this and many other memories of Cochrane and Area.
Preparation for the massive event took 50 volunteers over 6 months. The day of the event over 200 volunteers, 100 media people, 53 wagons, and 1200 horses and riders took part. 2000 people were at the nightly camp.
I’m struck by the wonderful images of the horses, cattle and wagons strung out along the foothills.
Participants and cattle came from the 3 western provinces, Quebec, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia and 10 U.S. states.
- Canadian Rodeo Historical Association
- Stockmen’s Memorial Foundation
- Eunice Reeve for a Christmas gift in 1990 of the Hooves of History Cattle Drive VHS tape
- Chris Konanz, of Blue Pixel Media for the creation of the digital copy, colourizing the video, correcting the audio and sharpening the video.
- All the images in this blog are from Hooves of History video
- I read Hooves of History 1990 Cattle Drive by Dorothy Willows as a reference.