by Jean L. Johnson Big Hill Country 1977 pg. 111
The Le Sueurs were from the Isle of Guernsey and had been in the coffee business in Brazil before coming to Canada. In 1902 Walter Payn Le Sueur bought the north half of Lot 6, in Morleyville Settlement, from Priscilla Grier. William Grier the first owner of this land, had bought it but died shortly thereafter and Priscilla was administrator of the estate. Arthur William Payn Le Sueur filed on the NW 4-27-7- 5, but built west of there beside a good spring. Later he moved the buildings to the land he had homesteaded and for which he received the patent on December 3, 1908. This quarter section became the home place of the Bar C Ranch. Two miles north of there the Le Sueurs took up another homestead on the SE4 of Section 20. This land was known to oldtimers as Miss Le Sueur’s quarter. It became part of the Bar C Ranch, and years later it was taken into the Bow River Forest Reserve in exchange for Crown land farther south.
In August of 1907, Walter Payn Le Sueur transferred his part of Lot 6, Morleyville to Edward Payn Le Sueur. The latter also bought the south half of Lot 6 which ran down to the Bow River. He was the first owner of this land although it is possible that others had lived on it previously. In 1908 Edward sold all of Lot 6, Morleyville, to John Fleming McCorkell.
These early settlers have given their name to the creek west of the Bar C Ranch. Le Sueur Creek flows down swiftly from a small lake and
runs east and southeast until it enters the Ghost River about two miles west of the Eau Claire Trail. The trail which the Le Sueurs took between their ranch and their land at Morleyville, crossed the Ghost River about a quarter of a mile above the Forks, and this ford, although little used today, is still called the Le Sueur Crossing; the grade they built up the steep south side is known as the Le Sueur Grade. From there they crossed the Ripley and hit the trail used by the Sibbalds and other settlers on the Hill.
Harold Payn Le Sueur homesteaded on Spencer Creek, and he and Edward lived on the Glenbow Ranch and played polo with the Glenbow team in 1909.